FARADAY’S “BLUE” PLAQUE –
COMMEMORATING A REMARKABLE
BY MICHAEL JEWESS
Link back to home page including e-mail contact details for Michael Jewess and related papers: SYMMETRYHOME
This work was published in the Royal Society of Chemistry, Historical Group, Newsletter and Summary of Papers and in the Insitute of Physics, History of Physics Group, Newsletter. The above link, however, is to a slightly modified text containing a revisionist account of the move of Faraday’s parents from Westmorland to London.
Michael Faraday was an apprentice to George Riebau, bookbinder and bookseller, from 1805 to 1812. Riebau’s shop (now 48 Blandford St in the Marylebone area of London) bears a splendid plaque erected in 1875-1876 under the scheme which was the predecessor of the blue plaque scheme. Thanks to Riebau’s help and encouragement, Faraday was able to make the leap to scientific work at the Royal Institution in 1813. Modern and contemporary illustrations provide antiquarian detail.
Keywords: Michael Faraday, Humphry Davy, London street names, Marylebone street names, RSA, Royal Society of Arts, memorial tablets, blue plaques, Outhgill, Humphry Davy.
Information on Faraday’s place of apprenticeship has also been uploaded to the Sites of Chemistry website: http://situatingchemistry.org/node/6498.
Use this link symmetry to contact the author (Dr Michael Jewess).